Monday, February 17, 2014

Two Degrees of Separation: Day 1,216

Today I found out that there are two degrees of separation between myself and Olympic gold medalist Charlie White; one of my friends is his former classmate.  I also realized today that there are two degrees of separation between myself and the Guatemalan president, Otto Perez Molina.  If you're not sure what I mean by "degrees of separation" it comes from a theory that everyone is connected by 6 degrees of separation in which it states that everyone through six friendships/connections knows everyone in the world.  (After reading that Wikipedia link earlier today, I'm convinced that this is why Facebook doesn't want you to friend people you don't actually know; it's screwing up their data.)  I'm also connected to President Obama by two steps; I feel so political now.  But it's not the people who I'm connected to by two degrees of separation that this entry is about; it's about the people who I'm connected to by one degree of separation.

Sometimes I feel like all I do all day is sit around and send out e-mail to people:  "So-and-so, this is Other-so-and-so.  You two could do a lot of good together.  This is the contact that you can use."  "So-and-so, have you heard of this organization?  I've worked with them before, and I know they can help you out with your problem."  "So-and-so, if you want, I have someone who can take a look at this for you."  "So-and-so, I know where you can buy that at a fair price."  Sometimes I feel like I do nothing, but sometimes I understand that I am that link. I am the bridge. I am that degree of separation who is willing to take herself out of the equation.



And, yes, if you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to get better about frequent updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment