Thursday, March 8, 2012

Help where I probably won't (Day 505)

In the past, I have introduced you to groups like Children of the Americas, Hogar de Esperanza/Hope for Home, and even Iglesia del Camino.  I've introduced to you places such as Caserio el Paraiso, Antigua, San Antonio Aguas Calientes, Aldea Aguacate, and Santiago Zamora.  But in this post, I want to introduce you to someplace I haven't been and a group I haven't worked with for one very simple reason: they need help too.

There are places in Guatemala where it is unsafe for a single woman to go.  Admittedly, as a semi-known translator around here, I sometimes get invited to go places that I otherwise wouldn't go with groups I don't really know.  However, there are other organizations that have just never crossed my mind to assist; one such organization is Forever Changed International.  Besides being an established organization with a permanent location in Guatemala City, they also serve in places such as ghettos and the garbage dump.  For a single woman in Sacatepequez, that's just not on the line-up for me.

However, it is on the line-up for others.  From July 21-28, a group of 14 people from Believer's Fellowship Family Church will be serving with Forever Changed International.  How do I know this?  Well, I have a friend who is going to be a part of this group.  I met Bill on-line many years ago--I'm no longer sure quite how many--and we've been e-friends ever since.  He told me a month or so ago that his church would be coming down to work with Dorie's Promise (a branch of Forever Changed International), but this was so early in the planning process that their trip was not even on the FCI website!

Now, however, it is.  If you, either from your own experiences or from viewing Guatemala through my eyes, have developed a heart for Guatemala and would like to help in a part of Guatemala that I will likely not reach physically, please feel free to help support the hands and hearts of my friend Bill and those from his church who will be serving in Guatemala this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment