Friday, May 31, 2013

Thank you, Salvation Army: Day 954

For those of you who are unaware, I am in the States for a few weeks, or at least I was.  I return to Guatemala fairly soon.  Anyway, as necessitated by my constantly shrinking waistline, I need to keep buying new clothes.  Every time I circle back to the United States, I visit Salvation Army and buy myself a new wardrobe.  I realize that sounds incredibly shallow, but in the last 954 days, I have gone from wearing L/XL shirts to S/XS.  I have gone from a size 16 pants to a size 4. (Although, the pants may be as a result of stretching. Since I wash clothes by hand in Guatemala, they don't tend to shrink back down in the dryer.  Size 6, upon buying them, tend to fit quite well; three months later, they're a bit loose.)  Anyway, this isn't a post about how Guatemala is the best diet-and-exercise program ever; it is a post about my visit to Salvation Army today.

Today I visited the Salvation Army on Sashabaw Road in Clarkston.  Fridays and Saturdays at all Salvation Army stores are 5 for $5 on one certain clothing tag color.  However, today was a very special sale.  It was not only 5 for $5, it was also 6 for $6, 7 for $7, 8 for $8, 9 for $9, AND...wait for it...10 for $5.  No, that's not a typo.  Buy 5 items at sale price, get 5 items free.  I called my mother, "Is it usually '10 for $5'?" I asked her.  "So that's why the guy looked at me funny today when I only had 5 items."  Bingo.  I had already put 10 items in the cart for me (as I try not to spend more than $10 on my wardrobe each time), but armed with this new information, I started filling my cart (and hanging clothes off the sides) for my kids.  You all are familiar with the story of Juana and her 7 boys if you aren't just tuning in for the first time; however, you aren't aware of some new changes which will be coming up.  (I will probably post about those tomorrow; so stay tuned.)

At any rate, I wanted to take this opportunity to THANK Salvation Army for the sale they had today.  I know they didn't do it for me, but through their generosity, I was able to buy 30 sweaters and sweatshirts for only $15.  7 of those already have a home they'll be going to; the other 23 soon will. Thanks for making sure my kids stay warm.  I appreciate what you do.  (And thanks to those who donate clothes to Salvation Army as well.  I appreciate you as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment