Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 54

(I've actually been mulling this post over for a few days; so some things may be lost.)

I have found that the Spanish I studied in high school and college is pretty much worthless. (No offense to any of you who might be reading this who taught me in those classes. You didn't know.) So, here is a Guatemalan Spanish lesson for all of you:

1. Agua
While "agua" still means "water," when someone offers you "agua," they might also be offering you coffee, soda pop, or juice. The word "bebida" (which means "drink") is not used and is on the verge of being archaic.

2. Chucho
For those of us who struggle with the dreaded "rr" or "rolled r," this word is a blessed relief. "Chucho" means "mutt dog," and in Guatemala, any dog I am likely to encounter will be of this variety. I am saved from using the dreaded "perro."


3. Novio
When I was originally taught this word, it meant "boyfriend." However, I was later taught that it meant something more like "fiance" and that the phrase "mi amigo" (my [male] friend) meant "boyfriend." The good news is that here in Guatemala, "novio" means boyfriend, and I don't have to tiptoe around talking about my friends.

(Okay, I'm positive I had about 5 of these. I guess I'll have to get back to all of you with the rest of these.)

No comments:

Post a Comment