Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Patience is a Virtue: Day 1,113

I've never been a patient person.

Growing up, my folks had a couple large gardens.  I was okay with the planting part of it, and I was okay with the picking part of it, but I don't recall enjoying much the time in between the two.  I mean, of course I enjoyed it, because it was the time of swimming lessons and swinging on the swing and whatever else I did when I was a kid, but the pulling of weeds and whatnot?  It didn't really interest me.  The plants didn't do anything.  They just sat there.  And looking at them one day to the next and seeing no change was completely boring.

Fast forward about 20 years, and here I am living in a culture where people don't operate much on schedules.  Here I am teaching English to people.  Here I am working with community leaders (who don't see any need to hurry) to try to create a program for the poorest of the people in their community.  And here I am planting my own SMALL garden.

Sometimes I think God sends you places not only to serve others but also to make a change in yourself.  I won't say I'm much more patient that I was before, but He's taking the time to mold me and shape me. And, admittedly somewhat begrudgingly, I'm thankful for that.

One of my favorite prayers is the following:
"Dear God,
Please teach me patience NOW.
Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment